The End of an Era is the twenty second episode of the fourth season and the ninety seventh overall episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
Josh and Harvey are fighting for Sabrina's affection, so she feeds them magic friendship bread to bring peace between the two, but they become too close and ignore her. When a frustrated Sabrina undoes the spell, the fighting between the boys worsens. As a last resort, she forces them to compete for her in a magical obstacle course--then learns that it is a fight to the death. Harvey's unselfish concern for Josh prevents disaster, but Sabrina learns that she has used up her quota of magic on Harvey and memory spells no longer work on him: Josh will think it is all a dream, but Harvey arrives at Sabrina's house, requesting that they talk about the fact that she's a witch.
Meanwhile, Mr. Kraft causes trouble when Hilda accidentally crashes into his car, further troubling his tumultous relationship with Zelda.
Uses of Magic
- This episode was originally going to be the series finale as ABC had cancelled the show along with the other shows of the TGIF lineup. Fortunately, the show was picked up by the WB. The show reportedly jumped networks due to purely monetary matters: ABC was more than willing to renew the show for a 5th season, but it was not willing to pay the reported $1.5 million that the "Sabrina" production company wanted. The WB then grabbed "Sabrina." The WB paid a mere $675,000 per episode, but agreed to renew the show for two years (44 episodes.)
- This episode marks the final appearances of Mr. Kraft and Brad.
- Dreama does not appear in this episode, her final appearance was in the previous one.
- At the end of the episode, Sabrina learns that Harvey reached his spell quota with the friendship bread spell, meaning no spells after it would affect him, but he was seemingly affected by the ipecac spell that she casted right after it.
- This is the third time that Harvey discovers Sabrina's secret, only this time, he remembers it. He previously found out in the Season 1 episode "Troll Bride," and the Season 2 episode "To Tell a Mortal."
- The move to the WB had a profound impact on the future of Sabrina. While on ABC, the show had been mainly geared towards people of a teen-age and younger. The WB, however, wanted the show to have a more mature audience. To accomplish this, the WB fired nearly all of the writers and a new writing staff was assembled. Additionally, the WB also announced casting changes for the show as Martin Mull (Mr. Kraft), China Shavers (Dreama), Jon Huertas (Brad), Mary Gross (Mrs. Quick), and Nate Richert (Harvey) (for the time being) were all let go. Nate Richert returned later
- Starting with this episode, Harvey becomes the only mortal besides Sabrina's mom to know that Sabrina is a witch besides Sabrina's deceased Granny.
- As this episode ended, Zelda and Mr. Kraft were still together (there was no closure on his storyline); yet, starting with season 5, he was never mentioned again. Obviously, the "Sabrina" production company had no idea he would be fired.
- The car that Sabrina gets for her graduation present is a Volkswagen New Beetle. Despite Hilda and Zelda telling her that she wasn't responsible enough for a car yet as explained in My Nightmare the Car and You Bet Your Family, although in the latter episode she only did drive a car once, she did get one possibly after she got her witches license. She also got another car later on in Driving Mr. Goodman. Whoever bought the Beetle for Sabrina is unknown, but it's possible that it was her aunts.